Friday, 22 May 2015

'It Gets So Much Easier'









We have left the house to go and meet my friend.  We meet at the end of my road and go for a pleasant walk (meaning baby was asleep and toddlers were snacking). I only have two objectives:

1. Keep my youngest MissChief awake until I get home.

2. Buy a mop and bucket and get it back to the house before our cleaner* turns up.

*The cleaner I had hired in secret two weeks ago.  The first day she cleaned, my husband returned home from work and took a look around our clean and orderly sitting room.  I smiled sweetly as I perched on the edge of the sofa holding bacterial spray in one hand and a duster in the other...

'You hired a cleaner' he says

Offended.

On the way home, I find a shop that sells mops. Lil man is 'over it' and hungry and MissChief is very tired and hungry.  I have a quick strategy meeting (bribery discussion) with Lil man to decide how we are going to get our items home, PLUS the two bags of shopping we just bought from the supermarket. I have the usual rant in my head about not getting my f***ing driving license.  My son stands on the buggy board with a biscuit, my daughter goes in the buggy and we balance the bucket and mop on top of the two bags of shopping.  Right...

We are fine UNTIL Lil man decides that he doesn’t want the bucket to keep banging him on the arm, and understandably doesn’t want his head buried in coats and shopping bags, so he literally LOSES THE PLOT. MissChief starts to fall asleep and the mop keeps jabbing people and lamposts as we walk past them, knocking bags off the top of the buggy. My friend, (who has two children of her own and her own problems to deal with) is oblivious to the situation that is unfolding behind her and is power walking to get her children home for lunch.

I now have 5 minutes to get back home to let the cleaner in.  I wake MissChief up, (She is seriously p***ed off) I put her on the buggy board and Lil man in the buggy, he holds the mop and assumes a jousting position.  I am preoccupied by the fact that my daughter is using the buggy board as a trampoline and each time she enthusiastically jumps some random item falls off.  I’m leaving a trail behind me of sippy cups, dummies, jumpers, toys and at this point an actual child would have to fall off for me to stop (and only then would I consider it).

Lil man takes out two pensioners and a toddler.

I take hold of the mop and give him the bucket to hold instead. He puts the bucket on his head. 

I AM SO OBVIOUSLY NOT COPING and hoping the bucket does not get stuck (NO TIME for A&E).

I don’t notice a Mum watching this chaotic scene from across the road, she feels compelled to cross the road with her daughter and she says...

'It Gets So Much Easier'

(REALLY? REEALLLY? Is this actually true? And if so WHEN? I WANT timings. PROVE IT. And if I survive the wait will I have gone completely crazy by then?).


What I actually said...:

'Thank you that's very kind of you. Having One of Those Days hahahahaa'.  (Every Day)

I finally catch up with my friend who now sees me struggling and says 'Oh you should have said!! There’s room in my buggy for the mop and bucket'

Must.Not.Freak.Out.Must.Breath.









Life Love and Dirty Dishes
  








 
 
 
 






















12 comments:

  1. I can see myself in this position too. How often have I forgotten that I walked to the shopping centre and proceeded to buy a fold up table, an ironing board or a mincer (a heavy, metal meat-mincing machine!) Only to realise on emerging from the shops that I actually don't have the car with me and I have to lug the whole lot home while pushing a buggy and holding a small child's hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't know about you but I NEVER LEARN!!

      Delete
  2. We've all been there - if it's any consolation! It's so hard juggling your requirement to just nip to the shops with their nap times, snack requirements and general temperament. Unfortunately (well in my experience) we may have been able to ditch the pushchair but the temperaments are still with us!
    I'm told it gets easier too. Maybe once they leave home...Breath & drink wine until then!!
    #Fridayfrolics
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank-you and yes it is! This was a while ago (I have done alot of breathing and drunk alot of wine since then!) dare I say it ... IT DOES GET SO MUCH EASIER!Sort of ..Arrghhh.

      Delete
  3. *Takes deep breath* If I had a pound for every time someone said that to me, I could afford to send a butler to Harrods to get me a diamond encrusted mop and bucket!!!!! I know people are trying to be helpful, but if you don't have realistically helpful things to say, please just don't say anything!! I'm like you, I want timings too!! Will it be a year? 2 years?? I need to prepare myself!!
    #FridayFrolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I hear you.!!I need an ACTUAL date to put in my calender :)

      Delete
  4. I ran over the big one with the buggy the other day. Entirely his fault. I kept telling him not to just stop in front of me. :/ Fantastic post as always. I promise I am laughing with you. Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa just seen this Claire! Sooo funny. Entirely his fault.

      Delete
  5. people can be so helpful, right? It doesn't get easier, there just are constantly new mountains to climb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain 100%!!
    I can drive but my husbands car is out of action (since November) as it needs a new gearbox and has only just gone in to be repaired. This has meant 4 months of me being car-less and it's a bitch!! I don't know how you do it. The smallest errand can become a complete nightmare within minutes and you wonder why you bothered with it all in the first place!!

    You're doing a great job, and you're not on your own! Xx

    #FridayFrolics

    ReplyDelete